Schools near the Phoenix Mine
|"The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet!" Aristotle (4th c. BC)|
Perhaps Aristotle should have had some of the dedicated teachers at High Point School...maybe Plato was just too demanding! On those cold January mornings back in the 1910's and 20's, while walking to High Point School, it probably seemed bitter to the Wetter, Widenhouse, Honeycutt, Drye, Furr, Petrea, Bost, Cline et al. children, but most of them have lived "sweeter" lives than those with more advanced education!!!!!!
In 1926 thirty old Field Schools (one-two room schools) were consolidated to form the Mt. Pleasant Schools. Thus as of Fall 2004 for one to have attended a one-room school they would probably be at least 84 years of age!
Reeves Chapel, McGraw, and Petrea ----UNDER DEVELOPMENT
Deed for Reeves Chapel: On Feb. 3 , 1887 sold to Public School Committee of District #9, Cabarrus Co.,North Carolina one half acre of land for $60.00. This must have been some exceptionally valuable land at $120.00 per acre. It was near the main Phoenix Tract on the west. Sold by Martin Boger and wife Amanda E. Boger; Deed Book/Page 44/136
Phoenix School 1912 - 1935
Modern (2005) map of High Point and Petrea locations